The River Parkway Trust offers a variety of services in our three program areas of Conservation, Education, and Recreation. Read on to find out more, and explore the rest of our website for details.
The River Parkway Trust provides a wide range of program services to protect and restore the San Joaquin River. These include:
• Working with willing landowners to protect land through land purchase and donations for public open space, or conservation easement transactions to protect habitat and working landscapes such as agriculture or ranching
• Restoring stream-side forests and important habitat to fish and wildlife
• Increasing public awareness of the San Joaquin River as a vital public resource
• Participating in public planning efforts on issues affecting the river
Laughter. learning and land; our education programs have a way of bringing all three together.
• Children share in the joy of the river through lively presentations brought to their classrooms or field trips taken to the water's edge
• Teachers and other community members enjoy the opportunity to attend continuing education classes and workshops
• Children and their families are given the chance to create lasting memories of the river through a variety of summer camp programs
• Preschool children connect with critters who call the river 'home' through specially designed programs at the River Center
Experience Fresno's backyard by exploring the beautiful surroundings and abundant outdoor recreation opportunities along the San Joaquin River. See a variety of wildlife and learn how the river and ecological reserves benefit our neighboring communities.
• Begin at Woodward Park or the River Center: The Lewis S. Eaton Trail offers walking, jogging, cycling. horseback riding, and expansive river bottom vistas
• Follow the Tom MacMichael, Sr. Trail at Jensen River Ranch and enjoy a picnic lunch along the river's edge
• Join one of our Guided Nature Walks and meander through a scenic ecologic reserve
• Escape the heat of the city with our Guided Canoe Trips and enjoy a leisurely paddle down the river
River Parkway Trust Volunteers make the difference! There are a wide variety of ongoing indoor and outdoor opportunities for volunteers of all ages and abilities:
• Education Program: school field trips, classroom presentations and river camp
• Outdoor Recreation: river canoe guides and nature walk guides
• Land Stewardship: river clean up, restoration projects and invasive weed control
• River Center: gardening, maintenance, River Store, events and weekend hosts, Children's Programs