This program, themed “Animal Evidence,” will take place at the River Center, located at 11605 Old Friant Rd. Participants will become detectives, exploring the site while looking for signs of the animals that call home and learning about tracks and scat. Tentative program overview:
- Binocular Nature Walk: learn to use binoculars and go on a hike around the Hidden Homes Trail, practicing bird identification and learning about the larger than life animal habitats on the trail.
- Owl Pellet Dissection: view a few locations where owls live on site before dissecting an owl pellet (disinfected) and identifying the bones found within.
- Track and Scat Hunt: learn the shape of the tracks and scat a few animals commonly found at the River Center leave as evidence of their presence, then hunt for real life versions on site.
- Edible “Scat:” choose an animal and think about what they might eat before using tootsie rolls and other treats to create a version of ‘edible scat.’
- Snack time: a short break with snacks (provided by us) will be incorporated into the program at some point during the trip.
This adventure requires your child to be between the ages of 6 and 9 to participate. Please note that there is a $15.00 fee per child and advanced registration with online payment is required for participation (please only select the number of CHILD participants when registering).